The College was founded on May 7, 1969, in Suite #1170 of the Americana Hotel in Bal Harbour, Florida. Henry P Laughlin, M. D., spearheaded the creation of the College along with many distinguished psychiatrist psychoanalysts. Those present included Drs. Nolan D. C. Lewis, Edward O. Harper, Arnold M. Kallen, Ruben L. Siegel, Benjamin Simon, and James P. Cattell. (Dr. Leroy Leavitt, Mental Health Commissioner of Illinois, planned to attend but was delayed because of travel problems.)
Dr. Laughlin established the initial bylaws, created the College logo, designed the lapel rosettes for Fellows and Members, and, more importantly, set the tone of camaraderie and scholarship for the College. Leo Madow, M. D., in his address as the first President of the College (later published in the Fall 1989 Newsletter, 20 years later), summarized the four aims and purposes of the College as: “1) providing professional leadership, 2) supporting the highest standards and practice of psychoanalysis, 3) providing a scientific forum for psychoanalytic subjects from various theoretical points of view and schools of thought, and 4) encouraging the acceptance, understanding, and constructive utilization of psychoanalytic concepts by an informed public.”
All Presidents of the College since Leo Madow have encouraged our collegial gatherings of scholarly-oriented psychoanalysts in a setting free from training demands and politics, an ethos that has happily persisted and continues to characterize the College.
Dr. Henry P. Laughlin retired from his guiding inspiration of the College in 2013 and his place has been taken by the next generation of the Laughlin family, which has recommended a fifth aim and purpose for the College: 5) to create innovative and impactful programs to promote education and practice related to psychiatric psychoanalysis on a national level.